The Medical Basics

The Cause: Type 2a Astrocytoma. Growth history very slow. Age unknown.

The Problem: Epilepsy. Minor seizures initially triggered by a very light concussion, which returned over time briefly overcoming Keppra and giving me regular seizures for a few weeks. Stable for 6+ months again now, since day 3 of chemo:

The Medicine:
Keppra: 1500 mg 2xdaily - the basic seizure stopper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levetiracetam

Temodal-165mg/day, 21 on 7 off. The chemo. A newer, more specifically targeted type of chemotherapy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temozolomide

Medical Marijuana - 1g/day edible capsules of refined resin cooked into coconut oil. I also smoke regularly, but recognize that as more of a comfort component. (Smoking is only "medically" justifiable as to be comparable with edible when a quick restoration of levels is needed IMO)

That's a very basic summary. A couple points I need to make: Do NOT read the stats on Astrocytoma and freak out. Mine is so slow growing it took 3 years for them to catch the sign on MRIs, and there's an interesting and complicated potential differentiating point with childhood initial growth. Otherwise, I think the M.M. will need a longer discussion

Getting in Touch

Hey,

I just wanted to be clear to everyone that I'm up for talking about things if you have questions. This message is most important not to my friends and those familiar to me but to anyone who stumbles upon this or is handed it, and is in a situation where they relate to this a bit closer to the heart and would perhaps like to ask some questions, or just vent some of their own story. Feel free to reach me.

Easiest is email: davemjmurphy@gmail.com, but I'm david.murphy98 on Skype as well

Sunday 12 January 2014

Let it Go, Let it Flow

So I think I'm going to try to let myself get back in touch with a part of myself I found when I was younger. When I was in my teenage years for a while I discovered a love of, and ability in, writing poetry. I didn't really share what I wrote, and I didn't let the memories out since then. This is my first little release of that part of myself in a while. It's pretty shitty compared to what I feel like I remember evern from my childhood, AA-BB-CC etc just flowmode, but still. I think the problem back then was I thought it was too feminine to write poems and was too insecure to share them and let myself lose a piece of me. It's time to be ballsy enough to just let myself out

I am a mirror and a fire but I did not see the light
Held my eyes closed and found darkness, thus began the fight
Pushed forward blindly, rushing, eyes closed and chin held high
The fire though, it burned me,every time that I ran by.
Slowly over time, I came to open my eyes.
But instead of looking down, I turned up to the sky.
I felt the heat of fire, and I called myself a star.
I pushed my spirit outwards, felt lost it went so far.
My strength began to fade, and the fuel began to dwindle.
The fire was falling, my light was gone, its heart I had to kindle.
I could not see, I could not run, I could not open my eyes.
It seemed as though the fire went out, I could not see the sky.
I closed my eyes and reached out my hands, and again the world was there.
I started forward cautiously, and let her give her care.
I found my way without the fire, or so inside I thought.
But something deep inside of me, it still felt burning hot.
Embers may stop giving flame, but they haven't lost their heat.
There's something left inside of me, and it never felt defeat.
My eyes have opened wide again, and the world has been transformed.
The fire has burnt around its pit, but the ashes weren't just scorn.
Like in the bush the fire is mixed, it destroys and then regrows.
Inside myself that cycle spins, and yet today it slows.
I feel as though I learned something, that hid in me last night.
I think some part has changed inside, and maybe won the fight.
I'm open now, I'm growing, I'm letting it burn again.
This time though I feed it carefully, controlling it best I can.
The mirror sits behind the fire, sparling like a wall.
My eyes still need to see it, are beckoned by its call.
I look into the darkness, I call upon the fire.
I meet my eyes, and dark indeed, I've relearned to admire.
I see the light, I see its source, to burn means to burn life
I thank the world, I thank it all, and I hold onto my knife.
I walk into the darkness and find fuel for the fire.
I trust myself and nature now, understand my desire.
As long as my eyes are open, and I hold my chin up high
The world around will keep me down, not lost up in the sky.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing darling! I remember your stories and poetry when you were younger and have some of it saved for you....

    ReplyDelete